Sunday, October 3, 2010

work in progress

Rough thesis 

I will argue for a new direction surrounding the idealized views of Christianity in the south from an insider and outsider perspective. I will not attempt to argue for or against a certain religion or focus on the truth of any religion. My perspective goes beyond the assumptions of what southern religion really is. I will simply start with the implication that there are naturalized ways of approaching this subject at hand. My resolution will lead to a broader understanding to the establishment of and capitalization of modern southern Christianity within a historical context.

I know that I want to trace Christianity from Columbus (establishment of a new world for """freedom""" of religion, or at least how they want it) to present to show how christianity has turned into a capitalized joel osteen kinda thing. 

Has this religion always been "corrupted" or has it progressively been dissected by different denominations/perspectives throughout the years?


2 comments:

  1. Tricky one, religions are so easily corruptible by those who know how to use them.
    I like the idea though, interested to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's workshop this thesis in class--you've got a BIG, broad topic, so we'll talk about how to zoom in on something specific you can tackle in a paper. Some of the language is still sounding vague to me, which is a classic result of not knowing exactly what direction you'll take. We need a MAP for you!

    ReplyDelete